Friday, September 16, 2011

The miracle of the weeping eye: Rome

Ever since I arrived in Rome yesterday, my right eye has been gently weeping tears. Just one eye. This is not an emotional response in any form; it is probably an infection of some kind I have not experienced before. Rather than getting upset about it I have decided to treat the phenomenon with respect, as if I were one of those weeping statues in churches. It just seems appropriate.

Last night I took the optional excursion to go out to dinner at La Caravana, a romantic restaurant with a huge outdoor eating area, followed by an illuminations tour of major sites. Only a small number of people did this excursion. The dinner was fun and the food good, although very high in carbs. Bread-, rice- and potato-based dishes formed the antipasto course, with some salami and prosciutto, then pizza, then a sweet cheesecake with chocolate bits in it. The wine and Prosecco flowed freely, however, which helped everything along. The entertainment was very simpatico - see the video!



The Pietá - possibly the world's greatest piece of religious art.
Today we visited the Vatican. We were ushered through some immense corridors in the Vatican Museum, and as much as I enjoyed the tapestries and paintings, I couldn't help wishing I could break away and explore much, much more. Following this we went into the Sistine Chapel, and it was wonderful to see how the cleaning of the frescoes has really made them pop. Sadly the chapel was crowded (as was every other place we have been), but we spent quality time marveling at the art. From here we walked over to the St. Peter's Basilica and again it was a wonderful experience. Rather more ornate than I am used to, with some competing styles of art on a massive scale, but the more you learn about it the more it all makes sense. I was deeply moved to see the resting place of Pope John Paul II - the Blessed - not far from the Pietá.

After an inadequate lunch and rest stop, and self not buying any souvenirs at all, we bused over to the Collosseo - the Colosseum. Now this was spectacular, and after all the hi-jinks of the street vendors outside, the guys dressed as gladiators who try to get you to give them money for a photo with them, the horse and carriage touts, and multitudes of tour groups, the atmosphere seemed strangely calm and reflective within the walls of the ruins.






I am resting in my hotel room now from the day's heat and an immense sense of tiredness from all the walking and stair climbing. I have signed up for another walking tour tonight, to the Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon, but I am not at all sure I have the strength. I'll have to decide soon, though.

Tomorrow we depart for Assisi at 7:45 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment