Thursday, September 15, 2011

On the ground in Italy

After a grueling flight from JFK, I finally arrived in Fiumicino Airport. Our flight was delayed in New York so I missed my tour shuttle to the hotel. I have decided to wait until the next shuttle, now about an hour away, to save taxi money. To fill the time, I opened my netbook and tried out the XCom Global wifi device - and hooray, it works! Unlimited wifi throughout my trip for $13 a day. Sweet.

Some thoughts on air travel.
  1. People who travel first class or even business class on trans-Atlantic flights live like kings compared to those of us in steerage class. 
  2. The "Main Cabin" is code for "where the suckers are."
  3. American Airlines does not have clean airplanes. There was something sticky on my tray table, the arm rests still had ashtrays in them (soldered down, but how old does that make them??) and the toilet looked like something from a neglected bus station. 
  4. We can put a man on the moon, but we can't serve a tasty meal on an airplane in the Main Cabin. 
  5. Steerage class air passengers have about as much room as 17th Century sailors, without the mobility. The sailors could at least lie down in their hammocks. 
  6. Anyone over 5' 5" and 200 pounds will not be comfortable in steerage. Period.  
  7. The longer the flight, the worse the experience. 
OK, that's my little rant over and done with. My Italian adventure lies ahead and I am looking forward, not backward now. Enjoying the smells and sounds of espresso coffees at the bar while tasting San Benedetto Aqua Minerale Naturale and Fruitella soft candies. I have seen the Dolomites and the Tyrrhenean Sea from the sky. It is 90 degrees F, proper football is on the TV, and a small fire in a trash can by the airport exit aroused no excitement whatsoever.  

I have arrived.   

4 comments:

  1. Curious to see how the XCom thing works. Looks like it could be a good deal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, how is it???????? Who is your guide.,
    Lisa & Gary Fisher, my daughter, whose trip was in April, their guide was Kathy.. They loved her. Let me know. Safe trave, relax, and ENJOY!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our guide is Chris, a New Zealander who has transplanted himself to Italy, where he now lives with his Italian wife.

    There is a pervading smell of cured meat wherever we go. Has anyone else noticed this?

    ReplyDelete