Friday, September 9, 2011

The back story

I have always wanted to visit Italy. Although I grew up living and traveling abroad, Italy is one destination that somehow never made the itinerary (except for one transfer at the Rome airport while flying between Cape Town and New York, somewhere in the mists of the 1970s).

By February of 2011 I was finally able to save enough money for what I consider a long trip to Italy – 11 days of traveling and touring. I chose Insight Vacations for my travel provider as I had heard good things about them. The tour is called “Best of Italy,” and I selected it because it includes all the places on my Italy Bucket List: Rome, Assisi, Florence, Sorrento, Venice, Capri, Pisa and Pompeii. You can view a map of our route at the top right of this blog.

My former cruising buddy was excited too, and agreed to join me, so we booked together. After months of happy anticipation, only a couple of weeks before our departure, she and I both received some sad news about family members’ health. For my companion, it spelled the end of her participation. This loss gave me a hollow feeling and dampened my enthusiasm. In any case, my portion of the trip was in serious limbo too, while I waited and watched to see if my father, who was very ill, would recover in time for me to travel with a clear conscience.

As of today, my trip is still on. I depart in less than a week (Wednesday, September 14), leaving my adult son in charge of my home and pets and as emergency backup for my parents. Prayers to Saint Francis that all goes smoothly.

Most High, Glorious God,
enlighten the darkness of our minds.
Give us a right faith, a firm hope and a perfect charity,
so that we may always and in all things act according to Your Holy Will. Amen.

 
-- St. Francis’ prayer for vocations, but quite applicable to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment