Tuesday, September 27, 2011

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie ... that's Sorrento

When I wasn't traversing the Amalfi coast on crowded, narrow mountain roads and praying for unconsciousness, I was sitting by the pool at my five-star hotel drinking cappuccino and wishing I could have joined the group on their day trip to Capri. Ironically I was reading The Story of San Michele on my Nook while everyone else was visiting San Michele in person. That was the day of my stomach upset, and thus Sorrento and Capri passed me by for the most part.

The night before I was at our touristy dinner in a restaurant set on a pier over the water. Nice! And I wandered down to the water's edge to pay a wet compliment to the Bay.

Our dinner was kind of hilarious. The Neapolitans like to make a big cheesy show out of everything, so we applauded heartily when the servers brought out enormous platters of fish or pasta. Our entertainer for the evening, Maurizio, sang us the old songs of Naples, and when he brought around his obligatory self-published CD for sale, I was amused to see the cover photo was of him and Michael Bolton posing together. Naturally I couldn't resist such star quality, and I purchased one. I wonder if Maurizio was the one who taught Bolton to sing in Italian.

One of our tour group, Steve -- who got it in his head that my entire blog was about him so I guess it's time to mention his name -- made a big stack of limoncello glasses and we had fun with that too. Not sure who drank them all, but we were all mellow-yellow going back to the hotel.


No comments:

Post a Comment