Sunday, September 11, 2011

The prepared traveler

It's ridiculous how much money and effort I have put into getting ready for this trip. I have purchased all of the following:
  • A new Canon camera with GPS.
  • An ASUS netbook for writing up my trip journal, downloading photos, and providing pre-bedtime entertainment (since I don't expect I will understand Italian TV).
  • A Nook with lots of books downloaded. I love to read on vacation, especially on long flights. I also have several audio books downloaded to the iPhone.
  • An XCom Global portable Wifi device (rented for the duration of the tour).
  • A $2.99 monthly subscription on Skype for unlimited calling to US phones.
  • A tote bag to replace the usual carry-on, as the magical mystery tour bus won't accommodate more than one piece of large luggage.
  • A new handbag and wallet.
  • Various articles of clothing. Amazing how clothes that will do fine for at home are clearly not good enough for travel. Plus, it is challenging to pack enough pieces for 11 days without over-stuffing the suitcase, so a mix-n-match strategy was essential.
  • New shoes (see above). Just could not take the 10-year-old sneakers with the peeling-off soles to the fashion capital of the world.   
  • Other minor stuff, but this list is daunting enough.
Financial arrangements also received some extra attention. After I discovered that my bank charges fees for purchases and ATM withdrawals overseas, I opened a checking account with Capital One. There will be a small fee for cash withdrawals, but none for purchases.

Still trying to get enough Euros from the local American Express Travel center. They were out of supplies when I visited them on Friday. Should be able to complete the transaction Monday or Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment